Board of Health
What is the Board of Health?
The Butler County Board of Health was incorporated on February 20, 1920, with the ideal of creating an organization that would strive to help secure the right to a sound body and a healthy life for the citizens of the Butler County Health District.
The health district staff members continue to strive to achieve this ideal by focusing on environmental health programs, communicable disease control, immunizations, health education, emergency preparedness, plumbing inspections, and vital statistics.
Ohio Revised Code 3709.02
Describes the make up, responsibility, and power of the Board of Health including establishing public health programs, serving as the appointing authority of staff, financial management, and rule-making authority.
The health district service area includes the entire geographical area of Butler County, Ohio, with the exception of the cities of Hamilton and Middletown which each have a city health department.
An eight-member Board of Health provides leadership and guidance to the staff of the Butler County General Health District, all working to ensure the health of our citizens through progress towards our Mission and Vision.
Five members of the Board of Health are appointed for 3-year terms with due regard to equal representation of all parts of the district. The cities of Oxford, Fairfield, and Trenton each have one appointed member. One member of the Board is a physician.
Board of Health Members
- Leon Simpson, geologist, serving as Board President, from Wayne Township
- Alan Burley, DDS, serving as Board Vice President, from City of Trenton
- Molly Emmert, MD, from City of Oxford
- Stephanie Johnson, RN, BSN, from Riley Township
- Bill Woeste, non-profit president and Planning Commission for the City of Fairfield
- Stephen Schulte, farmer, from Morgan Township
- Tom Urban, retired hospital executive, from West Chester Township
- John Baumgartner, retired plumbing inspector, from Hanover Township
The Board of Health holds regular meetings on the third Thursday of each month at 7 PM.
All meetings are open to the public. Attendees have the ability to give public comment at the start of each meeting. If you would like to attend:
- Please arrive between 6:30 - 7 PM
- Parking is located behind the building and accessed from Ludlow Street. Street parking is also available.
- Enter through the front doors on S. Third St.
- Doors are locked for security reasons
- A ramp is available for those who may need it, and can be found in back of building. Ring doorbell and someone will assist you.
Meetings are held at the Butler County General Health District, 301 South Third Street, Hamilton, OH 45011.
If you would like to be notified when the Butler County General Health District Board Agendas are available please register on the notification page.
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Documents sorted by _RECORDID in Descending Order within category